Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Nancy Pearl Friday

If you know books you know Nancy Pearl.  She's the former librarian for the Seattle library.  Here's a link to her site:  Nancy Pearl

Today, thanks to a retirement gift, I was privileged to dine with Nancy at Campagne, a French bistro in Seattle's Pike Place Market.  (So now that I've dropped all those place names, let's get on with the substance of the wonderful lunch.)

What else!  Books and books and more books.  Nancy travels all over the world, knows the editors and how they select books, has her own book agent (of course), and speaks about books to a variety of audiences.

But none of us is defined by what we do, but rather by who we are.  And Nancy is warm, humorous, genuine, in a word -- delightful.  We spent a too-quickly-passing two hours discussing authors, genre, why some books work and others don't, how much your mood can effect your choice of what to read.

What a wonderful time for me to be able to share my love of reading with a reading pro.  Yes, I came away with a few recommendations, some for me and some for grandson Sid.  And actually, Nancy also walked away with a suggestion or two from me.

We parted on a rainy corner in stormy Seattle, she with her take-away box from Campagne and my book list from 10+ years; me with a warm memory of an engaging intellect, fascinating conversationalist, and a list of books that will go immediately to the top of my reading list.

No knitting today, just book talk with a reading celebrity:  Nancy Pearl, the only librarian with her own bobble-head doll that sssshhhushes.

1 comment: