Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Crochet Interlude

Started knitting swatch #1 last night but meanwhile . . .

If you're a project person, you know what it means to have several things 'in the works' -- some folks call these UFO's  (UnFinished Object)  You do not want to know how many of these are secreted in my yarn closet, inside tote bags, stuffed into boxes, and otherwise hidden so that I can be surprised when I run across them.

So every so often I take a solemn oath that goes something like this:  "I will finish two UFO's before I start something new."  The project pictured below is one of the solemn oath projects.

Read the title of this post again -- it doesn't say anything about knitting.  Maybe you don't play with fibers using needles or hooks or thread.  A little clarity might help -- the project pictured is a CROCHETed scarf. This means I used a hook, instead of the clacking wooden needles that you see knitters working with.

The yarn was a gift from friend Fiona, during her US Labor Day visit from Perth, Western Australia.  She bot the yarn at Churchmouse Teas and Yarns on Bainbridge Island, WA, USA and presented the yarn and a pattern as a hostess gift.

Well knitters are all rebels at heart so -- i didn't knit it, I didn't use the pattern she gave me, and I didn't use the crochet hook that might have been recommended for the size of the yarn.

I like it a lot.  I will wear it on November 9 to the Glitter Gala where I will be the guest of colleague Cathy Gibson and her Evolve Partner Group at the annual benefit for Goodwill of Seattle.

The Bit of Leftover Yarn -- just squeaked by on finishing

Leftover yarn with small brooch

Here's the shawl wit a pin to show you relative size
(But before I block it -- more later)

Another close-up so you can see the colors

Lumps -- wet and lumpy and ready to apply cold water

Wet, heavy, drippy and draining

Squeezed gently in the Sham-Wow (can you see the words)
Ugly orange color, quite obscene but they serve a purpose

And finally on the blocking board -- damp wool, stretched and anchored with pins.
I'll let it dry overnight.
Next project will take me back to knitting.  Swatches await.

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely Becky. Fancy being such a rebel and not knitting my pattern - tut tut!!
    Only joking - It makes me feel better that I may not put my Mystery Quilt together according to Heather's pattern.
    I haven't started my scarf yet because I have a few too many UFO's to do myself and as we are supposedly having summer here (Yesterday was very cold and wet for a Perth November)I will probably put it off until our Autumn/Fall
    Nice to read your blog xx

    ReplyDelete