Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lace Shawl is growing


That's the thing about lace knitting.  It keeps going and growing.  You keep knitting until it's the size you want.  If the shawl is in the shape of a triangle, keep knitting.  If the shawl is a rectangle, keep knitting and soon you can wrap the fambly in warmth, or yarn bomb your neighbor's garage.

In case you don't remember a previous post, here's the lace shawl when I began -- well after a day or two of knitting, during which time I got used to the pattern, etched it onto a memory chip in my brain.

It's just a little bit of a thing here.  I think this is still the first ball of yarn.
In the beginning were a few rows.  The Triangle Shawl
begins at the bottom point, the one that will
hang down the back.
Now it's big enough to put on the bamboo pot on the deck.  I missed the sun yesterday for the foto (read disappointed) but still, it's an outdoor shot, which means it wasn't raining.


Now a few more rows, enough so that the shawl
embraces the pot, the way it will soon
embrace the wearer's shoulders.
As you might have already guessed, I still have a ways to go.  That's the thing about lace knitting -- it grows and grows, which means lots of knitting.  I haven't counted the stitches on the needle lately and truthfully will be happier in my ignorance.  Every row gets new stitches (adding stitches, remember that from previous posts?) so by the time the triangle has 'matured' it's carrying beau coups stitches, as in the hundreds.  I'm about ready to begin the THIRD ball of yarn.  

Lace knitting is a quiet time to meditate or listen to a book.  But first you have to learn and memorize the pattern.  Like life:  develop a few good habits and some days go more smoothly than others.  For example, no speeding tickets or fewer kitchen spills or more joy from choosing the right thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment