Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Crochet Interlude #2

Yes, yes, need to knit swatches.  But I'm stuck in the solemn oath territory that says:  Gotta finish the UFO's before embarking on a new project (becoming a Master Knitter.)

Here's the latest in crochet (and you thought this would be about knitting, silly reader with unmet expectations!).  And you knitting snobs -- alert -- for this one I'm using an acrylic (sshh, whisper this please.)
Blue and Rust afghan, Bernat Super Value
Acrylic is indestructible and perfect for heavy-use items, like afghans.  It feels harsh while you work with it, but my sister taught me to wash it with a double or triple dose of liquid fabric softener.  Voila!  it's soft and wonderful to cuddle with a grandchild.  Best of all, you can keep washing and softening and it gets more wonderful. 

It's not wool or mohair or silk or pima cotton -- but it has its place.  

Lumps of Knitting seem to be a theme so here's a picture of the afghan in a lump with the three skeins/balls of yarn.  The cream color was a total Lump of Tangles when I picked it up and the inside section decided to separate itself from the outside section.  This stuff comes in a long pre-wound skein as the picture shows, but when you pull the loose yarn end from the middle it gets squishy as you use the yarn.  Then it gets unruly and becomes a Lump of Tangles.

Afghan in progress with cleaned-up cream lump of tangles and two other skeins of Bernat Super Value

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful afghan Becky.....love the colors...and thank you and your sister for the tip on washing acrylic (sssssshhhh). Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like working with acrylic because it's what I can afford 9 times out of 10 :-P That and Bernat does make some very nice, soft, yarns that only need a normal amount of softener. Then again, I make a lot of afghans, baby blankets, baby things that need to be a) indestructible and b) machine washable/dryable!

    ReplyDelete