Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Take time to check your gauge

Time and yarn.  That's what it takes for swatches to check gauge (or tension, as some people say.)

Gauge is the measure of how you and your yarn and your needles are working together.

  • How many stitches per inch?
  • How many rows per inch?
  • Are your results matching what the pattern is expecting?
  • If not, will you be able to adjust the needle size or find a sweater size that will work using the gauge you have knit?
Big surprises and maybe unwelcome ones, if you are unable to make adjustments described in that last item in the list above.  Thus the Knitting Proverb:  To save time, take the time to check your gauge.  I'd insert "heartache and disappointment" in there, too.

I keep trying.
You probably can't see it.  It's 3x3 ribbing; k3,p3.
Will wait for it to dry and set and then measure.
The entire sweater is a ribbed one, with a boat neck.  Simple.
As long as the gauge matches.

This one didn't work out at all.  I used the yarn weight and needle
prescribed, but you can clearly see -- I think -- that the rows are
scrunched.  What are supposed to be diamonds, look like
boats, curved at the bottom, with the line of their
sails curved at the top point down.

Still trying for that 1942 cardigan inspiration item.


From top to bottom:  US2 (2.75 mm); Addi 2(2.5mm),
something between a 3 and a 4 (more than 3.5mm and less
than 4.0 mm)

Three swatches, three different needle sizes.  Still not sure which will be the choice.

Everyone who's known me for any length of time knows my favorite expression:  It's not supposed to be this hard.  I thought needles had been standardized.  Guess not.

So I've taken the time to check my gauge.  Stay tuned.

PS  This process will surely save me the heartache of a sweater too small or too large, but yes, it's taken quite a bit of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment