Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, March 5, 2012

George and I and telling the truth

The Washington one, the one that could not tell a lie according to the iconic story of his childhood cherry-tree-chopping episode.

And for all of my hints and tips about keeping multiple strands of yarn untangled while knitting several items at one time -- well, I cannot tell a lie.

I can hear you laughing ---

Yup, bits of yarn, skeins of yarn, even another needle.  Can you see the cord of the circular needle at the top of the foto?  This mess is connected to the following:

  • One rose/cream square that's just on it's way to becoming a diamond;
  • One rose/blue square that's only a few decreases from completion;
  • One rose/? square that's about half way to the middle, growing with increases every other row; and
  • One rose/? square that's 2 sets of increases from the middle, waiting on the circular needle.


Each square grows from 3 stitches to 55 before the color change and the decreasing.  When I got to about 48 stitches on each of the three on one needle, the knitting got both crowded and heavy so I put two onto a circular to wait their turn.  Then when the top half, now in blue, started getting smaller, about when the stitch count was 25, I add a new square.  Knitting along on these two was a snap -- one growing and one losing stitches.  Then the losing-stitches square got to about 20 stitches and I decided I had room (and patience) for a third square so I transferred one of the pieces from the circular.

If you haven't followed all the bread crumbs, no matter.  Here's where I am now.

You're looking at the back side (see the ridge of blue
snuggled inside the rose toward the bottom center?)
Left -- rose/blue, almost finished.
Center -- the new fourth square nestled in between its
neighbors and growing.
Right -- rose/cream and just beginning the down slope
decreasing.

More efficient this way?  Probably not.  I can't lie to you.  There's a bit of fussing and untwisting now and then.  And transferring pieces off and on needles.

Truthfully?  I think it's a self-made deception allowing me to convince myself I'm really knitting more than one thing at a time.  

Truthfully?  Each piece still requires the yarn to be wrapped around the needles for each stitch and a knitter can only do one stitch at a time.

Did you notice how that's like life?  No matter how much we pretend we're multi-tasking, we're still only doing one thing and often in small steps.

Truly.


No comments:

Post a Comment