Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, February 17, 2012

KAL

No matter your opinion on the benefits and/or drawbacks of social networking, you have to admit that it does allow people with a common interest to 'convene' even when geography, finances, and circumstances keep them physically separate.

I have an account on www.GoodReads.com and enjoy this a lot because the focus is books and only books.  Readers come from all over, with diverse reading interests.  The demographics -- age, gender -- are also diverse and so different views emerge.  I enjoy GoodReads.

Another great example is the KAL/CAL (Knit-A-Long / Crochet-A-Long) where people who love yarn and their chosen craft can 'convene' to explore a new pattern, a new yarn, and get help from others.

I've decided to participate in two KAL's.  One will yield a sweater and the other an afghan.

This is a new acrylic from Bernat, taken from the lovely and elegant colors that you find in Waverly upholstery fabrics and wall coverings.  The afghan pattern is a mystery, which means the Afghan Master/Mistress reveals one clue every 1-2 weeks.  The idea is that you try to keep up so that your afghan is finished at the appointed time (but truly, it could just as easily go into the UFO closet.)

Links you'll need (and it's never too late to begin):  Bernat Waverly Yarn, Waverly Afghan Knit Along
I used the color tutorial to help me select the combination of yarns for the afghan.  I like the yarn; it's soft and the colors are just wonderful.  The afghan uses size US8 needles.  You'll have to join their forum to get the clues.  No big deal.

When the suggestion for a sweater KAL came from the Knitting Daily blog, I checked the pattern, checked the stash and I was good to go.  The sweater is a top-down with an increasing rib yoke.  You'll have to purchase the pattern or maybe find it in an old issue of the magazine at the library.   Everything HERE to get started -- weekly knitting expectations, link to pattern, etc.  Take it away!

Stash yarn:  Cascade 220 Superwash in a teal heather.
Needles:  US7 using a circular and Magic Loop method.

So that's what's new on the needles.  I'm binding off and decreasing for the armhole on each of the vest pieces.  Don't want to sound over-confident, but I may just get to wear the vest this winter.

Nope, not thinking about spring knitting yet.  I'm not that fond of cotton yarns unless they are blended.  I'm enjoying each of the projects on the needles and enjoy switching from one to the other.

Find the form of social networking you enjoy.  It's probably here to stay, though its path is not yet long enough for us to discover just where it's headed.  Maybe Mark Zuckerberg can tell us this on his way to the bank?



No comments:

Post a Comment