Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Joyce Fassbender

Joyce is an independent designer whose talents are featured at Knit Picks.  She's known for lovely, elegant, yet simple-to-knit- shawls.

I've used her Deja Vu Scarf at least 4 times.  The pattern gives instructions to increase (or decrease) the size.  This scarf/shawl begins at the middle of the neck and expands as stitches are added.  Joyce's original design created two triangles, with a lacey pattern finishing the edges that wrap around your arms.

The center back (with a triangle on each side) can be
seen in the right of the photo.

If two is good, then three must be better.  I took out my pencil, calculator, a scrap of an envelope and proceeded to expand Joyce's 2-triangle design into a three triangle shawl.  I'm thinking that the final will wrap around the shoulders more securely and sit quietly without a lot of tugging or pulling or fretting.  You know shawls -- they look great but can sometimes be a fashion bother.

Here's the 2-triangle vs the 3-triangle.  The pin is where you wanna focus your attention.

Almost finished with the gold shawl (color is called Chamois.)  I'm knitting thru stash and will not have enough of the Chamois.  I've decided to finish the last of the border lace with the green, Asparagus.

Since I increased by another set of 18 rows in the st st
area, the final lace border has more repeats.  Lots of markers
to keep this one on track.  I Heart Markers.

The yarn is Red Heart Eco-Ways, 70% acrylic blended with 30% recycled polyester (old Nehru jackets and tacky plaid skirts, perhaps?)  This is one of the very nicest acrylics I have ever used.  It's soft and well-plied, which means the stitches are well-defined after knitting.  Check it out.

Now that I know I like the yarn, I'll be looking for the next stash-buster item to use the other skeins I have, in Cinnabar and Bark and Yam.  The color names are as wonderful as the colors.

Around the globe -- the Fassbender shawl is headed for Ocean Park, carrying prayers



No comments:

Post a Comment