Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Almost

I really like it when projects reach the "almost" point -- almost to a waypoint, almost to a blocking board, almost to a final garment.  "Almost" for me is a reminder that the glass really is half full, even on bleak, gray days like today when the wind is howling and the rain wants to be snow.


Slipper Sox Almost ready to turn the heel.  Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick.  Slipper Sox, also from LB.  Size US11 needles.  The pattern called for US13, which I bot just for this project.  Sssshhh -- I didn't swatch.  The sock would have fit the Abominable Snowman, as if he needed sox!  Frogged it and started over with US11.  Wonderful, just grand.  And very, very warm, as the yarn has 20% wool.


Heel flap done, ready to turn the heel -- almost.


PS  There's another pair just like this one waiting in the leftover yarn.




Just Plain Mittens  I found an old Leisure Arts booklet with a plain mitten pattern, using worsted yarn.  Into the leftovers I dove and came up with the Cascade 200 Superwash I'd used for the yoked sweater.  Perfect.




Almost to the hands.  The cuff needs to be about another inch and then I'll switch from US5 to US7 and in no time I'll have blue mittens.


Did you notice I'm using Magic Loop for both the sox and the mitts?  One sock on the 'loop' and two mittens on the 'loop.'


As long as the cord is long enough and has the right flexibility, this is a great method.  I'll admit to a bit of a challenge (opportunity?) with the mittens.  The circular needle is an old one with a nice long cord, but it's stiff as straw and putting it under hot water won't make it more pliable.  I think it would be great for something in lace, but I'll tough it out to finish the cuff of the mittens.  After all, I'm almost done.


Patons Kroy Sox  These are on tiny twos, the Addi Lace variety, which is a 2.5mm (vs the usual 2.75 mm that conventionally corresponds to a US2.)  I'm making my way down the leg of the sox, again using the Magic Loop method.  This time with two sox.  Short answer?  I'm 'almost' to the heel.

These 'almost' milestones are good markers for me, reminding me that soon I will have sox and mittens.  Meanwhile, I'm a process knitter so moving yarn and needles is quite satisfying, thank you very much.

Almost . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment