Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Got shape?

Blocking a sweater can feel like "just another step when I'm so close to the end."  Blocking, however intimidating or time-consuming, is essential.

See what I mean?
On the left -- back, armhole, blocked, shape!
On the right -- left front, armhole, shapeless!
If you look closely you'll see that the edges of the unblocked piece are curled under and the curved edge of the armhole is sloppy looking.  Blocking delivers this chaos from its misery into order and shape -- factors that make the assembly easier and neater, and lend polish to the final garment.

The cable is also much more visible with each of the elements showing face.

Blocked -- take my word for it.

Right front will be finished tonight and on the blocking board.  One more skein of yarn is set aside for the hood.

Hank to Hoodie -- I'll wind it with my swift and winder
and then cast on for the hood, which is stockinette (knit
one row, purl one row) with a bit of shaping and some ribbing.

I wish my camera skills were better -- the color of this yarn is so rich and wonderful.  Here's a link, just in case you wanna see how Lion Brand shows the color on their site.  Lion Brand LB Collection Organic Wool.

Please check out Lesley Reynold's intriguing and fun site.  She uses a technique she calls "Shower Thoughts" to quickly alert you to the 4-6 things on her agenda for the day.  It's fun and clever.  She also has a poll going:  she'll be knitting a hat and she's letting her readers choose the pattern.  Again, interesting way to engage readers.  My Ordinary Journey.

Life's ordinary journey often takes us to extraordinary people and places.  My journey today has taken me to Crossfit and Safeway, perhaps 'ordinary' but Emily the trainer is fun and skilled and Denise at Safeway made me laugh.  Extraordinary!




No comments:

Post a Comment