Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

26,880

Do you ever wonder just how many stitches you are knitting in a project?  I'm a math nerd so this concept is usually lurking somewhere in my brain as I am doing yet another knit, purl, or yarn-over.

For the Shetland Shawl, from Victorian Lace Today, the answer is
26,880 stitches  for the center portion.

There are 70 stitches across each row, using a pattern with an 8-row repeat.  Instructions call for 48 repeats of this pattern chart.

Math nerds do things like this -- 70 x 48 x 8 = 26,880.  Yikes!  If we knew the answer we might not ever ask the question -- and this would mean no more knitting.  Not a comfortable or pleasant outcome (though the nerd in me will likely continue to do the computations.)

For the Shetland Shawl I am making progress toward a finished center portion.  Knit-on border to follow.  I've started this border, a 12 row repeat with double yarn overs to make nice large holes.  Pictures show the details.

If you look at the upper left you'll see the sticky note
I am using to mark 1) the row I have worked and
2) the number of repeats of the pattern.
Remember 48 is the target -- I am at 29.

Here's the border with its accompanying chart.
The 'rule' is that I must finish a 12 row repeat completely
before I put down the needles.  Border goes up one side,
around the corner, across the top, and so on.

Close-up of the border, unblocked.  Size 4 US dpn, same size
as circular used for the center portion of the shawl.

The light is courtesy of the last of the sunny days we can expect here in the Pacific NW.  Days are opening with heavy fog and chilly temps.  Favorite, and oft-asked question:  Has the sun come out yet?

Hoping your sun is shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment