Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Recycle

Good stuff with this latest project --

  1. Another wonderful Jane Sowerby design from Victorian Lace Today, one of my favorite books;
  2. Using up stash
  3. Recycling the apple bag.


Gotcha on that last one, didn't I!!

Here's the shawl.  Yarn is from KnitPicks, their Gloss Lace weight.

It's a Shetland Shawl.  Historic notes say that
it later morphed into Shale shawl, which today
is a Feather/Fan pattern.


Waste yarn lace cast-on (red variegated
yarn across the bottom.)  After 48 repeats of
8 row pattern, I will add a knitted on
border.
(My gray slacks in the background; I'm sitting
on the deck during our NW 'summer.')

Recycle?  This project must be portable as it seems that right now husband and I are on the "Visit the Doctor Once a Day" event.  No Groupon coupons for this tour, though.

Anyway, portability means I can't really comfortably carry along my beautiful knitting bowl.  The lace yarn is in a nice spool/ball created by the yarn winder.  But these chunks of yarn can get messy and fly-away, like hair.  I was searching for a containment device, like a crocodile clip or a nice barette.

I have a couple of those webby yarn bras in the tool kit, but once my eyes lighted on the apple bag, I knew the solution was presenting itself.  This bag held 5 wonderful pounds of fresh Gala apples.  Only a few left for the fruit basket and time to recycle the bag.

Here's the green apple of yarn in the bag.  I never removed the
white gathering thing, but instead cut off the chunky staple
from the other end of the bag.

Insert green ball.  Invert,  Rescue a twist tie and
now I have yarn contained in a bra that lives up to the
description:  One Size Fits All.  I just have to move
the twist-tie for a smaller or larger ball of yarn

Turn down the leftover portion of the bag.  You can see the
yarn coming forth from its container.

Just make sure you choose a soft bag, not one of those stiff kind that can be recyled into a sink scrubby.  That would never do.

I have 12 repeats, on my way to 48.  My math tells me I'm 25% on my way to the inner portion of the shawl.

Glass half full!


No comments:

Post a Comment