Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Strolling toward the end

The Strolling Mitts are working up quite nicely.  The right hand is ready for thumb knitting.  The left hand is in the process of shaping the thumb, which means that putting those 15 left thumb stitches on a holder is very close at hand.
Right hand mitt is waiting to have thumb completed, while
left hand mitt is in the middle of thumb shaping.
Scarf and mitts are nice together, I think, especially
with kitty pin as a blending accessory.

I checked my DPN's that say US 6 on the label.  Danger, Batman, Danger!  The millimeter measure is quite different and I was almost had by the manufacturer.  The standard correlating millimeter measure for US 6 is 4 mm.  But check out this label -- it says 4.25 mm.
Maybe you don't think such a tiny difference would
make a difference -- but it does.  All of the Clover
needles I own that say No. 6 are, in fact, 4.25 mm.

Luckily I located my other set of US 6 DPN's, which are labeled as 4.00 mm.  If you are not a knitter, by this time you're thinking:  Do these hand knitters really have to worry about so many details?  That would drive me bananas!  Yup, it might drive you bananas and yes, it now and then drives the knitter over the edge.  Very glad I caught this difference.

I will use the 4.00mm US 6 DPN's for the thumb knitting where I have only 15 stitches.  Three stitches for each of three needles and a fourth needle for knitting.  Picture will appear in a later post.

Meanwhile, the stroller mitts are serving as a wonderful and satisfying diversion from Thuh White Shawl.  Notice the title has now become official and I've added initial capitals to seal the deal.  It's quite a mission, this shawl.  I have 2 balls of yarn remaining, each with 218 yards.  I have a goal to knit until I use up one of the two balls of yarn, reserving the last one for the crocheted fringe.

The back length of the shawl in this picture is 24", from the
top point to the bottom of the holes / stripe pattern.  The
instructions call for 36" but I am sure that if I were to knit
to 36" you would have to call someone to take me away
as I babble about yarn overs and purls.
Here's a closeup of the pattern and you gotta admit it's gorgeous.
Thuh last pattern in Thuh White Shawl

But back to the mitts -- looking good and soon to be completed.  I'm loving these detour projects, after 2 hours and 4 rows of the white shawl.  groan
Close -- very close.
Detours and staying the course.  Both of them help us to make progress in knitting and in life.  Lessons learned in each case.  Detours are sometimes risky but usually give us quicker rewards, as in sooner completed.  Staying the course teaches perseverance and commitment, with a thing of beauty as a final reward, plus the confidence to tackle something else equally (or more) complex.

Choose your path.



No comments:

Post a Comment