Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My own worst enemy

Don't we all make choices that just drive us crazy?  How did I get myself into this one?

You know those frilly ruffly scarves?  The ones that look like they took hours to knit?  Well, I'm probably the last person to try this 'yarn.'  Ran across it yesterday while chatting with a fellow shopper at a local craft store.  She was going to try it, was actually wearing an example.  It was lovely.  So with my coupon I plunged.

Not really 'yarn' but more of a mesh ribbon.

It's called Sashay, from Red Heart.  I urge you to check out the video for 'knitting' with Sashay, because I think the instructions on the back of the label are right next to useless in the list of how-to's.  The pattern on the label is also available at the Red Heart site.  It's shown as the Smokey Swirls Scarf, but I'm using the color Jive, which is shades of teal.  Great color.

Watching the video (also on YouTube) was essential for me to 'get it.'  I wouldn't really call this 'knitting.'  Instead the needles are the handy tool that allow you to interlace the folds of the scarf.  The mesh folds back and forth along itself along 6 or 10 stitches.

Of course, I'm trying to be much tooooo precise with an item that is intended to be frivolous and independent.  The writers should never have used terms like "every other loop" because I spend all my time searching for the "every other loop" when I could just as easily grab any of the next loops and the ruffle would still ruffle.

Nouns that become verbs: ruffle and friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment