Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Okay, so I couldn't resist . . .

I know what you're thinking.  I do.  You're thinking I broke down and bot yarn.  Nope.

A big YES to your other question.  Did she start YAP (Yet Another Project?)  Yup.   I did find another shawl pattern to begin.  This one is a square, intended to be folded in half when worn over the shoulders.

It starts with a circle loop cast on of only 8 stitches.  After a first purl row, you can pull on the loose end of the loop and tighten everything so it's neat and tidy.

Early days in this picture.
The 5th needle points to the center of the work,which
is the place the adventure began.  The purple marker is to
identify the beginning of the round.
This is a pattern from Knitted Lace, from Interweave Press.  I borrowed the book from the library to see if it's worth the purchase of a used copy.  Lots of great patterns for sweaters, scarves, and shawls, plus several sock patterns.  Still studying the idea of purchase.

The pattern is in a chart form and so far, has been easy to decipher.  The overall look will be eyelets, each with four little holes stacked in a diamond shape.  Then a row of just eyelets and then a border.  The 'rest rows' are purl instead of knit, making the body of the knitted fabric a garter stitch, as in knit every row (if you were going back and forth.)  At least there is a rest row every other round.  Then there is an all-knit rest row as the divider between each set of diamond eyelets.  Not tooooo bad.  Stay tuned.
Body pattern in upper left corner.
 The bigger chart is for the border.

I've transferred the stitches onto a long circular needle US5, and hope to be able to manage Magic Loop method until the shawl is larger in its perimeter.  At that point I will be able to knit in the round with ease.  This may make the border easier to manage.

Here I've pulled the tips of the circular needle out of the
fabric area so I can spread out the shawl pattern to
show off the eyelets.  Look in the segment on the southeast
of the circle and you'll see two diamond eyelets; the third in that
section is bunched up, but it's there.

Going back to the glubs, to cast on the ring finger.  My plan is to do the ring finger on each glove, then the middle finger, etc.  In this way, neither glove will feel neglected and when I finish the second thumb I'll be done, as in done-done.

Making great progress on the cream shawl.  It's my new knit to relax project -- easy to follow, easy to see, only a 3 row pattern.

Bags and baskets of knitting projects, some too neglected to be mentioned and others so new they beckon me whenever a few minutes present themselves demanding busy-ness.  Just one of the many great things about knitting -- pay attention or not, the big Whatever!

As a matter of life philosophy I don't subscribe to the big Whatever!  Instead I think life is more satisfying when
  • You do what you're supposed to do,
  • In the manner it's supposed to be done, 
  • At the time it's intended to be accomplished.

Think about it -- works for filling the tank as the gauge approaches the "E" and works for the big things in life like caring for others.

I'm off to do other things now -- using my 3 point philosophy listed above.  Hoping your day is the best.



1 comment:

  1. Becky, this is going to make a great book. Your work is excellent!!!! Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete