Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

MAMA -- Mine And Mine Alone

Glubs for me!  Wonderful yarn -- such fun to knit, to see how the colors will settle.  I've finished the cuff, the thumb gusset and am working my way up the little finger.

Thumb gusset on the right, under the curve of the pin.
Little finger on the needles.
These are really fun and I recommend glubs to all knitters, even beginners.  They have some challenging aspects but all-in-all are fun to knit.  You can get intro or practice on these techniques, if you knit glubs


  • Using double pointed needles and knitting in the round.
  • Adding stitches for thumb gusset using the M1 technique.
  • Holding stitches until later.
  • Adding stitches by backward loop method.
  • Weaving in lots of ends, since you will be joining yarn when it's time to knit the thumb.

Here's a close-up of the cuff.  It's a smocking stitch, where the wrap is formed by knitting between, in this case, the 6th and 7th stitches from the end of the left needle.   This makes a very long stitch which you put back onto the left needle and knit along with what was the first stitch on that needle.  Quite fun and isn't it a great look?

At first I was worried that the colorful and varied yarn would keep the smocking from standing out, but I think it works so I decided to stick with it to the end.  I have a dark fuchsia wool coat for winter and the gloves will be a great accessory.  

Freezing rain here, after a horrible and unusually fierce snow storm.  Here in the Pacific NW on the west side of the state we tend not to get so much snow, especially at lower elevations.  But this one has us all at sixes and sevens.  The snow has ended and now the freezing rain begins to cement the slush and trenches formed by brave cars yesterday.  

I'll be knitting.

1 comment:

  1. I think the color actually makes the smocking stand out a bit, especially with those beautifully long stitches.
    And anyone who doesn't want to fiddle with making 10 fingers can always make mittens instead. (I actually like mittens better, they keep my fingers warmer...)

    ReplyDelete