Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Oh, the places you'll go . . .

Dr. Seuss was right.  Life is full of journeys and adventures.  Not all of them involve knitting, but as you'll read, I do my best to include the yarn and needles as often as possible.

Husband spent almost a week in the hospital waiting for a stent to be inserted in a blocked artery.  The adventure began with chest pains.  I will admit to all readers that, yes, in addition to my purse I grabbed my knitting tote and stuffed in a project on my way out the door to take him to the ER.  I carried that bag back and forth with me every day to and from the hospital.  Some knitting occurred.  Just some.

He's home now, much improved. He's got a renewed sense of life with all its glories and riches.  We both have a greatly renewed sense of the power of God and the talented, caring people He has placed in the world of magic medicine.

In summary, take one 86 yr old guy who walks every day.

  • Give him a blocked artery (and won't we all have them after 86 years despite diet and exercise?  86 years is a long time for a body to work on itself!)  
  • Take him to the ER with chest pains.  
  • Transport him by ambulance within the hour to the main hospital and have him scoped and cathetered to discover three arteries blocked.  
  • Work on him for a week to get BP and hemoglobin and kidneys at top form.  
  • Send him back for a catheter procedure to ream out the worst of the three arteries and insert a stent.  
  • 90 minutes later have him back in his room, awake, alert and enjoying a visit from grandson.

Now them's some miracles and wonders, dontcha think!?

We're home and glad of it.  My week looked like this

  • Try not to worry; he's in good hands.
  • Knit and pray
  • Wait and pray
  • More knit and pray
  • More wait and pray

Well, you get the idea.

I worked on a pair of sox and the Arimono shawl.  Both were non-taxing to my brain but allowed my hands to be busy.
Fabulous color wave and great pattern.
Hoping life will again take on the dimensions of "boring normal."

Blessings on all who serve.  I wouldn't be knitting or enjoying my new husband without your contributions and sacrifices.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your husband is doing well after his ordeal. I truly hope both of you can get back to some "boring old normal" again soon.

    The shawl is looking beautiful and I'm glad you had something nice to keep your hands busy while your thoughts roamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Becky, I only just saw this post! I am so glad that your husband is recovering, that must be pretty scary!

    Taking the knitting was genius, btw. Imagine how much more worrying it would be without that.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete