Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, June 1, 2012

May I have some June, please

It's pouring here.  Still wet and sometimes chilly.  Not sure we can expect June to be any better, but life in the Pacific NW has its compensations -- I really never have to switch to 'summertime knitting' (whatever that is!)

The Diamond Wrap shawl is almost finished.  Somewhere along the way I was able to memorize the pattern, which as you know, makes knitting so much more relaxing.

 Classic Elite Silk, size US 9 needles.  I especially
like the leaf patterns added at each end, using knitted cast on.

Each leaf is knit complete, turning the work at the end of each short row.  The process is very similar to making the heel on a sock, except for the leaf there are yo's to increase instead of the decreasing used for heels.  Here's a closeup.
If you look at the center column of yo's right below where
the needles cross you can see a center stitch.  This stitch will
be where the next leaf begins.  Knitting adds stitches (yo's)
and then p2tog on the backside to work off the 5 stitches
on the right needle.  Very clever.

Of course I'm already checking out the next 6 things from this book to make for friends.  I really cannot buy yarn -- to self:  Keep repeating this mantra.  Yarn sales announcements are appearing in my email and twitter accounts and I am resisting.

If June would arrive and
  if June brought a bit of heat then
     I might be able to forego dreams of "the next project."

Yeah, right.  If you believe that one, I've got 4 sunny days in a row in the Pacific NW to sell you.

June, anyone?


1 comment:

  1. We really could have done with some June this weekend too - thankfully there was a little sun for a friend's wedding yesterday - it didn't rain until after the photos, which was a relief - but that was it!

    Liking that pattern - it's very nice!

    ReplyDelete