Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Baby Stitching

 Always fun, always rewarding, always satisfying -- Baby Stitching.  Our extended family is expecting 2 more little ones this year.  Maryland PA granddaughter and State Patrol husband will deliver their #3 tomorrow.  Rhode Island granddaughter (retired USN) and Navy husband will deliver their 1st in July.

The clown quilt is basted and ready for machine quilting.  The printed top includes quilting marks which I will use to begin.  Then I hope to repeat those shapes and do some shadow quilting, filling in as needed.

I use a handy quilting gun to baste.  It shoots those pesky tag things, the ones you have to cut when removing tags from purchased clothing.  Each piece penetrates all layers and holds them together.  The messy part is when you have to carefully cut each one to remove it after the quilting is complete.  Makes a mess of plastic red bits, but I prefer the gun to thread basting or safety pins.
Maybe you can see the little red insertions.  There is one in
the lower part of the "A" and one near the line in the
middle of the "B".

Green flannel for the backing, with
multi-colored bit dots.  Hoping to use pale
green thread for quilting.

Receiving Blanket 

First step is basted narrow hem.  Then a row of
Single Crochet, at 6-8 per inch.  I am using size 10 thread
and a 1.8 (6) steel hook.

At this point I am adding Row 3.  Row 1 looks like a
blanket stitch (the sc/s) and row 2 and row 3 are nested
rows of DC Ch3 DC.

I am making #7 in the picture, with one more row to finish.

Another great find from AbeBooks -- a collection of
edgings by Terry Kimbrough, published 1994 by
Leisure Arts.

Time to face the sewing machine.  I also have jean patches to sew, patching the spots where the former patches have worn thru!







No comments:

Post a Comment