Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Twice as Nice

Now this is fun -- call me a knitting nerd -- but this is fun.

Double Knitting.  Two sides happen at the same time with the designs reversed.  One side is red with yellow design; the other is yellow with red pattern.

You goth admit that's very cool.

How did I get here?  Well, I'm on Twitter @RebeccaBianco and finally reached the incredible status of having 100 followers.  The 100th asked:  What do I get for being #100?  I offered a hand-knit scarf.  Mr. 100 is a rabid Manchester United fan.  And thus was born the scarf in double knitting.


  • Front side / the 'right' side will be red with yellow pattern and words that read Manchester United.
  • Back side / the 'wrong' side will be yellow but the words won't read correctly.  Maybe it will be mirror writing, but I haven't put any brain cells on that one.



I decided on Double Knitting so the scarf would be warm, reversible, and I would not have to use Duplicate Stitch or Intarsia (one layer) to add colors.  Double Knitting is really intarsia with two 'pieces' of knitting.

The process took at least 3 cast ons and frogs before the process gelled.  Here are some sites I used to help me along.  Both are easy reading and have clear directions.


  • Knitting Help:  Where you can make a hot pad with a heart.  Author is Nancie Kramer and she's good.
  • Knitty:  Where you can make "Not Your Grandma's Double Knit Hat."  Author is Jenanne Hassler, very nicely done.

I'm designing my own letters, one at a time.  I'm also a math nerd, so graph paper is a long time friend.  Yarn is Patons Astra, a sport weight.  The yarn label suggests US6 but the ladies above suggest smaller needles so I'm using US4.

Having fun -- double the fun.  

Warning -- either this will become your new yarn addiction OR you will decide it's fiddly or requires too much attention.  Don't try to look up while double knitting, so if you combine TV with knitting, you'll have to choose.  No more multi-tasking.






No comments:

Post a Comment