Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Trouble with Hearts


The trouble with Hearts is that they break.  They break when a lover departs.  They break when the house is too quiet.  They break when the departed soul is commended to God -- May the angels greet you . .

My husband died on March 28.  He was at home, where he wanted to be, with family around him.  Hospice says that hearing is the last sense to lose its capacity for knowing the world.  Grandson Sid played the violin for at least an hour Thursday evening while Gpa was 'sleeping.'  (hospice calls this the transitional phase.)  Ernie talked to each of his kids and grandkids that day, also while he was 'sleeping.'

He heard every word.

In between paperwork, funeral, paperwork, cleanup at home, paperwork, thank-you cards, tears, and more tears, I've managed to pick up needles or a crochet hook and make a bit of progress.  Pictures follow.  Not sure how predictable or regularI will be with posts.  I'm leaving the blog active so that when my heart is back in it I can share.

That's the trouble with hearts -- sometimes they stay broken for a long time.  The good news is, hearts know how to love -- after all, they wouldn't break if not for love.  We were married over 32 years.

Hearts get big holes in them, too.  Fairly certain not even the knitting will fill this big hole.


Star Baby Blanket, crochet, size G hook

Scrap quilt 

More scraps

There are lots more scraps

See, more scraps

Upside down scraps.



Mini Mochi scarf from Regia Journal

The point at which bigger starts to get smaller, using decreases.

Pile of granny bits for afghan

Starting to take shape


Assembled as you go, during last round of each granny

More assembly

Slip stitches and long SC to join

This doesn't show the 14 rounds of borders I added.  Whew!
Finished the last bit the morning of the funeral.  Kept me busy.








Choices for a prom purse.  Finally picked the 2nd on left.

Another view of prom purse choices.





The final choice.




Another baby quilt.  At end of January, 3rd Great was born.  He
came with parental units to GGPa's funeral.  GG #4 is due in July
and has already received a Peanuts quilt.


KAL shawl that Darliss and I are doing.  From
Fiddlesticks in Canada.  Yarn from Sarah's Yarns
in Brooklyn, wool and silk.  This is bottom lace
knit 'across' then stitches for body will be
picked up along left edge above.


So, hearts.  They love and they break.  Hearts remember and mourn.  Hearts smile and laugh.

We couldn't live without them.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your broken heart. I'd crochet you a new one if I thought it would help. I'm glad to know he was able to see, hear and talk to all the family. But, you're right, without love, hearts wouldn't break.

    ReplyDelete